Employment opportunity with Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress - Senior Research Planner
Employment opportunity with Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress - Senior Research Planner: Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress ("Pattern"), the Hudson Valley's premier planning and research organization (a 501c3 non-profit) seeks a Senior Research Planner to assist with a multitude of projects, including one of two signature initiatives: the Urban Action Agenda (UAA).
In the fall of 2014, Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress started a multiyear effort focusing on revitalizing the region's urban centers. The project initially focused on understanding the growth potential and challenges of these centers. It then embarked on assisting 25 targeted municipalities in creating and implementing plans to change their growth trajectories. Research focus is where there is existing infrastructure, transit and amenities that may prove attractive primarily - but not limited to - millenials in an effort to create a resurgence of growth in these areas and yet avoid prior patterns of sprawl while protecting the region's environment.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years of progressive planning and/or research experience; preferably a Master's degree in planning, public administration, sociology or a closely related field, and should possess proficiency in standard computer applications (MS Office). Knowledge of mapping software (ESRI, ArcGIS) and the ability to apply mapping applications in research is a plus.
The desired candidate should be equally comfortable working as part of a team and independently, including being in the field. In addition, the candidate should possess strong written and oral communication skills; solid analytical and organizational abilities; ability to meet deadlines; demonstrated interpersonal skills and comfort in working with elected officials and senior government officials. Knowledge of the Hudson Valley is essential.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working independently and with Pattern staff, continue the implementation of urban revitalization plans for targeted urban centers by analyzing and integrating factors related to land use, zoning, design, historic preservation, housing, demographic, social and economic factors, crime, and education as well as other areas that are determined through research as it relates to each municipality
- Lead Pattern's GIS programming including mapping, data creation, editing and required manipulation
- Determine and obtain the public's input as it relates to project goals
- Work with regional and municipal leaders under the guidance of Pattern staff
- Research, collect and analyze data; prepare reports and present recommendations and
- Ability to post and collect comments to social media to enhance the public's participation in the development of the planning and implementation components of the project as well as to raise the awareness of Pattern's activities
- Willingness to work in a fluid environment which often requires to addressing multiple projects at once.
- Grant writing skills and a willingness to engage in fundraising to support the organization are a plus.
Salary dependent on qualifications. Very competitive benefits package.
Submission packages should include the following items:
- 2 writing samples - one, a short memorandum and the other a longer example of research skills
- 3 references
- Salary and benefit requirements
Please send COMPLETE application package to: Robin DeGroat, Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress, 3 Washington Center, 2nd floor, Newburgh, New York 12550; email@example.com
To learn more about our work, visit Pattern-for-progress.org. Hudson Valley Pattern for Progress is an equal opportunity employer.